Academic Records & Grading

Students Records
The Registrar’s Office is responsible for maintaining all official academic records for students and applicants for admission to programs. The Center is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of educational records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended.

All currently enrolled and former students have the right to review their academic records to determine their content and accuracy. Students may not review documents submitted by or for students as part of admission, nor may they be released to third parties. A student wishing to review his or her academic record should make an appointment with the Registrar.

Grading is at the discretion of the Instructor and may be based on any combination of class participation, attendance, examinations, and/or written assignments. Both ongoing and testing or appraisal evaluations are essential. Grading should be fair and held to rigorous performance standards. The basis for grading should be articulated in the course outline and discussed at the first class session. Study for college credit is typically recorded with the following grade designations: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F.  All study for credit is recorded with the following grade point assignments:

Letter  Grade
Grade Points Per Credit

A ( 94-100) 4.00
A- (90-93) 3.67

B+ (87-89) 3.33
B   (84-86) 3.00
B-  (80-83) 2.67

C+ (77-79) 2.33
C    (73-76) 2.00
C-  (70-72) 1.67

D (below 70) 1.00

F (below 60) 0.00

The grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of grade points earned in a given course by the number of credits attempted. Credits with grades of “I” or “W” are not included in computing the grade point average. Credits with grades of “F” are included in computing the grade point average.
In addition to the above “letter” grades, the following designations are used in grading:


Grade Point Per Semester Hour 0.0

Some weekend workshops are graded on a Pass/Fail basis. Academic credit is awarded, but no grade points are given



Dropped course

Course repeated

Class Cancelled

Continuing Education Unit


Incomplete Grade
Students may petition the faculty member for permission to receive an “I” at the end of a semester. An “I” grade (incomplete) is granted when students are unable to complete course requirements for reasons beyond their control and when arrangements have been made with the Registrar and instructor before the end of the semester. It is the instructor’s responsibility to decide if an “I” should be given. It is the responsibility of the student to develop a contract to meet the instructor’s requirements for making up an incomplete.  Incompletes (I’s) may only be given for extenuating circumstances (e.g., illness, family loss or changes in work schedule (whether business or ministry).

To receive an “incomplete (I)” at the end of a semester, the student must have permission of the faculty member involved. Course incompletes are not given automatically. A grade of “I” denotes that course work has not been completed due to an unavoidable emergency (illness, death or other emergency) which does not include delinquency in class attendance, being involved in church work or other employment. Students with “incompletes” in two or more classes will not be allowed to enroll in a new semester or term without the permission of the Director. These students are required to meet with their Academic Advisor to form a plan for completing the previous semester’s work.

The incomplete must be made up during the next semester in which a student is enrolled. When requirements have been met, the instructor will submit a change of grade form to the Registrar. If a student has not completed the required coursework before the end of the next semester, the “I” grade automatically becomes an “F” unless arrangements are made with the faculty extend the “I” for another term.

Student communication is a key factor in determining incompletes. All students are required to communicate with their instructors regarding missed classes, incomplete or outstanding work just after or prior to their emergency.

Withdrawal “W” designations may not be given by faculty, but are recorded by the Registrar provided the student has followed appropriate procedures and met the deadline date for dropping the course.

Pass/Fail Credits
Seminar/workshop credit is given on a Pass/Fail basis. To receive academic or CEU credit for seminars or workshops, the student must write a paper of at least 500 words detailing what he or she learned and how the new knowledge will be applied. These papers should be submitted to the Registrar no later than seven days following the completion of the workshop or seminar. All students in such courses will be graded on a “P” or “F” basis.

Student teaching and internships are graded on a Pass-fail basis.

Change of Grade
Any change of a grade on the official grade report must be made by the instructor, who submits a change of grade form to the Registrar.

Transcripts and Grades for Graduate Students
Only courses in which a student earned “A’s” and “B’s” may be received from other colleges and seminaries. Graduate students must have an overall average of 3.0 grade point average to be eligible for graduation. Undergraduate students must have an overall 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for graduation and must make a minimum “C” in all required courses.

Grade Reports
Semester grade reports, showing courses, hours earned and grades received in all subjects, are mailed within a month of the final meeting of the last course scheduled during that semester. All courses for which a student is enrolled will appear on the student’s transcript, including courses that are repeated or dropped. The grade point average will include all grades except those graded Pass/Fail.

Any student who appeals a final grade in any subject should first contact the instructor of the class and then the Registrar’s Office. If the grade is to be changed, the instructor will notify the Registrar by means of a Change of Grade form stating the reason for the change. Grades may not be contested more than three months after the date of issue.

Forgiveness Policy
The grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of graded hours attempted at the Center for Biblical Studies into the total number of quality points earned at this college.

Under the Forgiveness Policy of the Board, a degree seeking student may improve his/her grade point average (GPA), by repeating a course in which a grade of “D” or “F” was received and submitting a written request that the repeat grade be the only one counted in the final calculation. Only two such requests are available to any student during the student’s undergraduate career. The student must repeat the same course or a similar approved course taken at the Center for Biblical Studies.

A student is required to submit the signed form for Grade Forgiveness to the Office of the Registrar by the midterm date of the term in which the course is being repeated. At any time prior to that midterm date, the student may also submit a written request to cancel the signed form for grade forgiveness for that course. No change will be allowed after the midterm date.

Students may repeat courses in which they received a grade of “D” or “F” without using the Forgiveness Policy. In such cases, both the original and repeat grades will be used in the computation of GPA. Credit for only one attempt will apply toward graduation.

A course taken on a letter grade basis must be repeated on the same basis for the Forgiveness Policy to apply. A student will not be allowed additional credit and/or quality points for a course repeated in which the student originally made a “C-” or better unless the course is specifically designated as repeatable to allow additional credit.

Dean’s List
Undergraduate students who are registered for a least twelve (12) semester hours of letter grade (A-F) course are eligible for the Dean’s List. The required grade point average is 3.5 in any department, for any given term.